I have placed a ticket to mediafire tech support (twice) without answer: I have created two different accounts, totally different info, one free and one Pro (pay). None of them show me the Create new application box in My account->settings->developer. The emails I have used are verified...any clues? Thx
I tried putting .mp3 on the end, and could not get it to work either, so mediafire is obviously not going to work here. The problem is on their end. Apparently they are somehow masking the actual URL of the file to prevent unauthorized downloads or something.
I have an end customer who was attempting to download a file from mediafire (also known as causeway.com). His policy allows the mediafire application, and the initial connection is made, so the web site is accessible.
The following page provides details on the application and list of hostnames associated with the mediafire.com domain. The list of notable hostnames that were detected come from not only DNS requests, but also HTTP headers, TLS certificates, DNS hinting, and other deep packet inspection methods.
In short: a fellow crowdfunded a little money some years ago, and bought mediafire storage for our community to share flashcard decks for language learning. We're no longer in touch, and his blog has lapsed, so I'm trying to back up the entire folder before roughly 0.5TB of user contributions vanish.
I've got a remote successfully set up as a destination, but I haven't a clue how to designate this public mediafire folder as the source to copy/sync from. I'm sure the answer is dirt simple, I just can't find it. The best I could think to try was configuring a webdav remote and leaving most of the fields blank, since an old thread suggested mediafire might be compatible with that. Alas... 041b061a72